Friday, May 20, 2011

A new low

Cycling home today I had to pass another cyclist on a narrow bit of the path. Now I've adapted to living in England quite well in my opinion and have learned that when you pass each other you pass on the right of the other person not the left. Apparently this kid didn't feel that applied to him and insisted on passing me on the left. As I voiced my disdain for this manoeuvre and stated that perhaps he should try the other side next time, he promptly turned around and 'What? You fat c...'.

At that moment I realized that the rest of the world does not see my charming personality or my great sense of humour. They see a fat person. Yes, the moment these words were exchanged probably could have gone better but it does not shadow the fact that I was called fat to my face (well actually my back because I was pedaling away). It hurt not because he called me fat (I call me fat all the time) but because he said it in such a hateful way that made it sound derogatory, like calling someone an asshole. 

So now that I have reached this new low, I am more determined than ever to change that. I am not going to let some kid hurt me like that. Off to the gym I go...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that he said that. I would have been hurt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carlee. If anything it has made me more determined than ever to lose the weight I need to lose. It's still hurtful though. :-/

    ReplyDelete